The Foundry
  SearchSearch     RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theodor groeneboom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

Classic! Forgot the link! 

http://www.nukepedia.com/gizmos/draw/sprut-2d-fluids

Enjoy Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 09:33, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nuke-list,

I spent some time earlier this year putting together a 2d fluid sim "framework" using gizmos. I've used it on a few shows and personal work and it seems to be fairly stable and lots of fun to use.

I've abstracted Jos Stam's 1999 Siggraph paper "Stable Fluids" into Nuke's own nodes, making it a gizmo-centric fluid simulator. Its very easy to extend and learn from looking at the internals, something I hope the Nuke community will benefit from. 

There's currently three nodes, SprutEmitter, SprutSolver and a diagnostics tool SprutInspect.
I hope by releasing it to the public, other Nuke artists will pick it up and contribute to the system, and keep on sharing it.

You can find the gizmos, docs and example scripts here :

Its compatible with all three platforms, and most versions of Nuke. No install requirements, just copy and paste the nodes around like usual.

I also want to give a shout out to Andre Hitsøy, Lucien Fostier & Michael Ralla for contributions and greideas!

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Martin Constable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

This looks truly great. The examples online look really groovy, but also things I can imagine using.

I have tried running it but got the following error from the solver:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 33, in <module>
File "<string>", line 24, in render
TypeError: integer argument expected, got float

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 5:34 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 09:33, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Nuke-list,

I spent some time earlier this year putting together a 2d fluid sim "framework" using gizmos. I've used it on a few shows and personal work and it seems to be fairly stable and lots of fun to use.

<sprut_banner.jpg>

I've abstracted Jos Stam's 1999 Siggraph paper "Stable Fluids" into Nuke's own nodes, making it a gizmo-centric fluid simulator. Its very easy to extend and learn from looking at the internals, something I hope the Nuke community will benefit from.

<image12.gif><image00.gif>

There's currently three nodes, SprutEmitter, SprutSolver and a diagnostics tool SprutInspect.
I hope by releasing it to the public, other Nuke artists will pick it up and contribute to the system, and keep on sharing it.

Its compatible with all three platforms, and most versions of Nuke. No install requirements, just copy and paste the nodes around like usual.

I also want to give a shout out to Andre Hitsøy, Lucien Fostier & Michael Ralla for contributions and greideas!

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

theodor groeneboom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

What version of Nuke are you running ? I've tested it on 7 & 8, and on all three platforms. Also, make sure you're not using any weird facility managed write nodes. Start with a fresh vanilla copy of Nuke Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 10:34, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com (jackyoungblood@me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
This looks truly great. The examples online look really groovy, but also things I can imagine using.

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 5:34 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 09:33, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:
Hi Nuke-list,

Quote:
<sprut_banner.jpg>

Quote:

I also want to give a shout out to Andre Hitsøy, Lucien Fostier & Michael Ralla for contributions and greideas!

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Quote:

Martin Constable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

I am trying it on Nuke 8
Tried also NukeX7.0v4 and NukeX7.0v5
Get a version error on both.

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:38 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
What version of Nuke are you running ? I've tested it on 7 & 8, and on all three platforms.
Also, make sure you're not using any weird facility managed write nodes. Start with a fresh vanilla copy of Nuke Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 10:34, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com> wrote:

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

theodor groeneboom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

Version errors shouldn't matter much in this case. But if you're having trouble launching the sim, thats worrying Smile

Could you try and replace the line 24 in the executesim python script with "task.setProgress(int(progress))" Or if that does work, just comment it out for now?
I cannot reproduce the error here, so I'm just working blindly.  

On 29 January 2014 10:50, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com (jackyoungblood@me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I am trying it on Nuke 8

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:38 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
What version of Nuke are you running ? I've tested it on 7 & 8, and on all three platforms.
Also, make sure you're not using any weird facility managed write nodes. Start with a fresh vanilla copy of Nuke Smile

-theo

On 29 January 2014 10:34, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com (jackyoungblood@me.com)> wrote:

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 5:34 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Martin Constable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

…and no weird facility managed write nodes. Version of Nuke as vanilla as it comes, bar one or two Gizmos.

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:50 PM, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com> wrote:

Quote:
I am trying it on Nuke 8

Quote:

-theo

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Martin Constable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

OK

I am a bit of a Python Neophyt and might have to recruit higher order help. Bit I'll give it a try.

Martin

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:56 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Version errors shouldn't matter much in this case. But if you're having trouble launching the sim, thats worrying Smile

Could you try and replace the line 24 in the executesim python script with "task.setProgress(int(progress))" Or if that does work, just comment it out for now?

On 29 January 2014 10:50, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com> wrote:
I am trying it on Nuke 8

Quote:

-theo

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Malu05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Martin Constable:
Looking at the code it seem very wierd that you get a error there since there is no floats involved.
Is it the example script or the gizmos you are running the solver from?

@ theodor groeneboom:
Small thing in that regard, if start and end is the same frame you get a division error (devided by 0), it should just take a signle frame.
Martin Constable

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

Well…

Edited as you suggested.

Something now seems to be rendering but looks like I will have to wait a while before I see anything.

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:56 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

On 29 January 2014 10:50, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com> wrote:
I am trying it on Nuke 8

Quote:

-theo

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

theodor groeneboom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sprut - A free 2d fluid simulator for Nuke. Reply with quote

Good to know you got it to work! I usually get about 1 sec pr frame in a 1k render. I'm caching to local SSD which speeds it up quite a bit. Also, I've got a GLSL version of Sprut running in another tool, and get around 60 fps. The slow-down in nuke is the need to write and read the files on each frame.

On 29 January 2014 12:05, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com (jackyoungblood@me.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Well&hellip;

Edited as you suggested.

Something now seems to be rendering but looks like I will have to wait a while before I see anything.

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:56 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

On 29 January 2014 10:50, Martin Constable <jackyoungblood@me.com (jackyoungblood@me.com)> wrote:
I am trying it on Nuke 8

On 29 Jan, 2014, at 6:38 PM, theodor groeneboom <platerytter@gmail.com (platerytter@gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

-theo

Quote:

Enjoy Smile

-theo

Hi Nuke-list,

<sprut_banner.jpg>

-theo

www.euqahuba.com

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: